What is it?
We all know what a book club is, so you may wonder what a healing book club is, and how it is different. As the title of the book club says, the theme of the books chosen in this book club will be on healing.
It will be a safe space for us to connect and discuss books for our inner journey, self-discovery, personal growth and inner healing. Members will be welcome to suggest books too.
It is very common for those who have had a difficult childhood, or traumas or people who are struggling with any mental health issues, to feel that they are on their own with their difficulties and healing journey. Being a member of a healing book club could minimise the feelings of loneliness and any overwhelming feelings of being on your own with this difficult journey. Being part of a community with like-minded people who all have the same goal as you, which is personal growth and inner healing, can be very beneficial to your mental health and wellbeing. It could also empower you by learning ways to develop your personal growth, to learn about childhood trauma and related mental health issues.
What will we read?
We are not going to read biographies, novels or memoirs. Those traditional books clubs are totally different from what we will be doing in a Healing Book Club. These will be books that will focus on ways to better ourselves from within – for example, books on self-esteem, assertiveness and so on. As a Trauma Therapist, many of the books Sharmi will be using in this book club will be around healing from the aftermath of a difficult childhood, or from one where your needs were not being met.
How will it work?
Once your booking has been completed, you will be added to a secret Facebook Page. I will post weekly questions and tasks for you to work in your own time and pace. We will meet up once every month via Zoom to connect and discuss. I am happy to consider moving these Zoom meetings to a more frequent basis if you prefer that. Please let me know of your preference there). The book club will be offered in a supportive group and will include reading assignments, journaling exercises and opportunities to discuss the books we read via live video chat on Zoom.
How much will it cost?
The book club membership will cost £12 per month, but concessions are available for those who have financial difficulties.
I am very mindful of the fact that there are many sisterhood circles and support network out there, but rarely and almost non-existent when it comes to men’s mental health and their healing. So I would like to keep this open to everyone, however, if I only have a small group of ladies being interested in joining the book club, and your preference is to keep it closed like a sisterhood circle, I will be happy to consider that. Please let me know of your preference by taking this poll:
Date and time
Wednesdays 8pm – 9pm
Disclaimer and Guidelines for our Healing Book Club
- The Healing Book Club is not therapy, but a safe space for us to discuss; share our reflections and thoughts.
- What a Healing Book Club isn’t and wouldn’t be offering you:
– The book club is not a support group. As it is not a support group, please know that the space offered is not for you to process past trauma.
– If you are looking for support from us, please take a look at our support services if there is anything there you may find helpful.
– Although, Sharmi is a therapist, she is not actively engaging in a role as a therapist in the book club. Instead, she will simply be the book club facilitator only.
– Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to assist you further should you wish to engage in therapy or support via Stepping Stones Psychology.
- What a Healing Book Club is and will be offering you:
– It will provide you a space to come and learn, to feel seen, to feel heard within the context of safety always, but it is not support or therapy.
– Sharmi’s only role in the book club will be to facilitate discussion, and when appropriate offer psycho-education.